Example: Grade 10 BBi project from Last October...5000 Youtube hits!!!
- Characters speak to one another in computer generated voices, based on the text students type. Many voices to choose from
- Characters can also have facial expressions, movement, voice pitches
- Students can customize characters to look like someone they know or themselves. Takes a little time but makes projects more interesting for students. Plus it’s a great way to get students engaged in the process. This is the best way to start. Giving them too much choice leads to sillyness. Reproduce yourself and 1 or 2 friends and they can use them in all videos. Like a tv series
- Many different backgrounds to choose from. They can be changed as often as they want within any given project
- Pictures, wordart and clipart can be added to the animation
- Students become almost immediately engaged and try to do as good a job as possible
- Great opportunity for stronger students to demonstrate their abilities while other students are still excited about the work they are doing.
- I recommend stressing time management and letting them know they are to do as good a job as possible, while still completing within the desired timeframe
- Easy to use and much more fun than PowerPoint or Bristol Board
- Results are very dynamic, educational and often entertaining. Gives students a sense of pride, as they have created something new and unique
- Content is sharable and can downloaded by the teacher only and later placed on student’s websites, uploaded to their YouTube channel
- Students can even post videos on their Facebook, which could become a great way to promote your course to other students
- The concept you are trying to get them to master becomes relevant in order for them to complete their animation. Like mixing carrots with mashed potatoes. If you want the mashed potatoes you need to get the carrots as well. The content is absorbed due to the fact that students watch and re-watch their animation as they are creating it and well afterwards
- Gives teachers opportunity to create projects that allow students to demonstrate critical thinking, analysis, and even re-teach a concept in their own words in a unique and creative way
- Web-based software, allows students to work on projects from home. Many of my students have "cheated and worked on their projects form home even though I didn't really want them to" Terrible problem to have!
- Teachers can also use it to teach a concept, introduce a chapter...
- Ideal for students who missed a class
- I find it impactful when Ii use my character in the video. Students know and recognize me
- I've actually created a virtual teaching assistant who is a lot nastier than my character and she gets to play bad cop. Kids like me but hate her. She reminds them of deadlines, criticizes their lack of overall effort and preaches a lot. A real bitch!
- Great way to,model and show examples of how to use the software...practice what you preach...
- can be edited in the future, shared with other teachers, posted online so that it is accessible.
- I have shared many of mine with other teachers
- International business-Application, critical thinking
- Leadership styles-Application and Re-teaching
- Franchises-research, application, critical thinking
- Sign up
- Add students
- Start a video
- Teachers must approve a video before it can be seen by other students or shared in any way
- Teachers can comment on Video and let students know where they can get the downloaded file
- Share final product and upload to YouTube and then post on Website or even Facebook
- Assessment and feedback. Web 2.0 features allow for other students to comment
- Character creation: 1 full period
- This is the best way to start. Reproduce yourself and 1 or 2 friends and they can use them in all videos. Like a tv series. Giving them too much choice leads to sillyness. They end up creating ridiculous, fictitious characters. They can do that at home on their free time if they wish.
- the character library also has a lot of characters to choose from. Some resemble popular people
- Story: 2-5 class periods.
Pricing: $2.00 per student per year. Can eliminate 1 student account and replace with another. There is a $100 per year fee but can be broken up among several teachers.